Tuesday, May 20, 2014

"Hey Brother," "You've got to Stand for Something" to "Carry On"

Just wanted to add a quick disclaimer: This is not a blog about music although this only the third post on my new blog and it just happens to be the second one about music. But this blog is about my life and experiences in it and it just so happens that music has a big influence on my life. So while I am writing about music my intent is to share how it is a part of my life and the influence it has on me.


So I had a rough day the other day, I had started making plans for one thing and starting to look forward to the changes it would lead to, but as often is the case things did not go as planned. So once again I was facing another failure and as usual I was disappointed with myself and bummed that what I had hoped would be a good day to celebrate became another reason to be down on myself. And afterwards I had a short drive ahead of me back home, while my first thought was that of giving up at least for the moment and to break my diet. Which I have been doing quite well on over the last two months I have lost over 40 pounds. But while I was trying to decide if i should between Krispy Kreme Doughnuts or Cheesecake Factory or both i had the radio on and the song Carry On by a group called Fun. I have heard this song before but the following lines really stood out to me as I was driving down the street, losing faith in myself.

If you're lost and alone
Or you're sinking like a stone.
Carry on.
May your past be the sound
Of your feet upon the ground.
Carry on.

Carry on, carry on.

And as they began to sink in and register, I told myself that although i was not moving forward today I could keep myself from falling backwards from my goals. So as i decided to try and let my past be the sound of my feet upon the ground, and this let me carry on right past Krispy Kreme and then as I approached the exit for the Cheesecake Factory i just kept on carrying on.

The other line that really hit me in that moment was the following verse:

'Cause here we are
We are shining stars
We are invincible
We are who we are
On our darkest day
When we’re miles away
Sun will come
We will find our way home

While i thought about this part of the song I definitely was not feeling like a shining star or invincible. and while this was not my darkest day and really was only a small stumbling block along my way. I was feeling pretty dark and down on myself, which can lead to further dark days and disappointment. So I was thankful for the strength that this great song offered up to me and though i still have a long ways to go in this life, I know if i seek out even the smallest blessing in my life i will find my way home.

And having a two drive home allowed me a lot of time to ponder and try to find a better outlook on my situation and in my life. And of course being in the car alone i had the radio going the whole way home and being that i was in a pondering mood I found some inspiration in some other songs that helped me to feel slightly better about where i am in life and recognize some of the blessings in my life. 

The next song that stood out on my journey home was an older Aaron Tippen song that i have not heard in some time called You've got to stand for something. This is a song i have heard many times before but again these are the lines that provided inspiration to me today. And that is one thing i love about music is although the song may have a totally different meaning the one who wrote, but it is in the moments of life that we are exposed to it that can define it for us. And best of all the next time you hear you may apply it something completely different and totally redefine it. And in know when my wife reads this line she is going to tell me that this same thing applies to scripture study as well. So i will just fess up now i have a harder time applying the scriptures, but I will make it a goal to start working on that. Okay now that I got my confession out of the way, back to the lines in this song that stood out to me today are contained in these two verses:

He'd say you've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything
You've got to be your own man not a puppet on a string
Never compromise what's right and uphold your family name
You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything

Now we might have been better off or owned a bigger house
If Daddy had done more givin' in or a little more backing down
But we always had plenty just living his advice
Whatever you do today you'll have to sleep with tonight

When I've heard these verses in the past I usually tend think of my father who is my greatest hero. (More about him in my upcoming Father's Day post!) But today as listened to the words in these verses my focus when straight to the first and last lines, which say again say:

You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Whatever you do today you'll have to sleep with tonight. 

So as I pondered I thought about these questions; What is it that I stand for? Do I stand for anything? How can i figure out what it is i stand for? Is what I stand for of value? Is there any purpose to it? And while I would love to say that I pondered long and hard and then the answers all came to me and it was all so clear, they did not and it is not. But it gave me something to think about and perhaps in time i will figure out some of these answers. While most of these answers could simply be answered by the standard seminary answers (Incase any of you are wandering this a LDS/Mormon slang term meaning the basic gospel answers; such as prayer, scripture study, and or going to church.) And yes those answers would apply and for the most part be correct, but in instances like these the answers are much more personal and must be sought out. So for now let's just say that I am doing what i can to seek them out, and hopefully I will find the answers i seek.

And while i just said the answers did not come to me as i pondered, but that is only a partial truth. Because there was one other song that really resonated with me today and it was a new song, well at least new to me it is called Hey Brother by an artist called Avicii. But this time it was not just a line or a verse but the whole song that sang out to me today, here are the lyrics:

Hey brother, there’s an endless road to re-discover.
Hey sister, know the water's sweet but blood is thicker.
Oh, if the sky comes falling down for you,
There’s nothing in this world I wouldn’t do.

Hey brother, do you still believe in one another?
Hey sister, do you still believe in love, I wonder?
Oh, if the sky comes falling down for you,
There’s nothing in this world I wouldn’t do.

What if I'm far from home?
Oh, brother I will hear you call.
What if I lose it all?
Oh, sister I will help you out!
Oh, if the sky comes falling down for you,
There’s nothing in this world I wouldn’t do.

Hey brother, there’s an endless road to re-discover.
Hey sister, do you still believe in love, I wonder?
Oh, if the sky comes falling down for you,
There’s nothing in this world I wouldn’t do.

What if I'm far from home?
Oh, brother I will hear you call.
What if I lose it all?
Oh, sister I will help you out!
Oh, if the sky comes falling down for you,
There’s nothing in this world I wouldn’t do.

What a fantastic song i definitely recommend listening to it if you have not heard it before. While i listened to this song I just could not help but to think what a wonderful family I have been blessed with. I have two parents who would do anything for me and have made so many sacrifices for me and my siblings over the years, not to mention all the other people they have helped over the years. you could not ask for better role models in life than my mom and dad. And on top of that i grew up in home with 5 siblings one brother and 4 sisters and though at we've had minor fights and disputes over the year but when it comes down to it I know they love me and I love them. And as we have all grown and started families of our own we just doubled (well almost Brady will catch up soon enough) the number of siblings as my sisters  have married great guys who take such great care of them and I love them all like the brothers that they have been to me. And all of them (well almost again Brady gets a pass for now) have raised some incredible kids, my nieces and nephews, help give me hope for the future. And Devoney my wife has put up with so much from but she is still there by my side. And though we don't see her family (In Canada) as often as we would like they too have been a blessing in our lives. And while i could go on and on about all of my extended family all of who are great, i will close with mention of my little man Xavier (My son who is awaiting us in Heaven, working on a post with more about him as well.) Though his time was short on this earth he had so much spirit and love to share that he touched (and continues to) the hearts of so many people. 


Okay I know I am going on and on about my family, but I will get back to point I was trying to make, which is that "There’s nothing in this world I wouldn’t do" my family and they have proven over and over again that there’s nothing in this world they wouldn’t do me. So if nothing else today I realized on my drive home that if nothing else I stand for my family and they help to give my life purpose. And I know there is more and I will continue to search out the answers, and would love to hear your feedback in the comments below. What do you stand for?


Timothy J Wolfe

1 comment:

  1. I am so VERY proud of you! What a wonderful post! I sure do love you. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete