Monday, September 15, 2014

Every Kid Needs a Superhero: Who is your Superhero?



Growing up I was always drawn to shows and books that centered on superheroes who hid behind masks and secret identities, in order to protect their loved ones. These superheroes either had a superpowers or a multitude of gadgets and gizmos that allowed them to overcome the evil super villains that they faced. While each of these superheroes had a different style and approach the end result was always the same they would defeat the villainous plot of their arch nemesis, usually one of many, and the day would be saved.

As a child you never knew what the outcome would be despite knowing that every other encounter showed that good always overcame evil. However anytime I was watching a new show or reading a new book, I was on the edge of my seat hoping that once again my favorite superheroes would overcome the new challenge that they were facing. And when they did I was relieved and even more enamored by these masked heroes, and more than anything I wanted to become like them. I decided at a young age that I wanted to become "Batman" I knew that this was possible because unlike most superheroes he did not have any superpowers, just a huge artillery of gadgets and gizmos. So this seemed like an achievable goal.

Well the closest I ever came to achieve my goal came on Halloween day, when I was donning my Batman cowl and cape. We were at Taco Bell my mom and my aunt Peggy and with my sisters and cousins. When my younger cousin Scotty darted out of Taco Bell headed for a busy road, so with my cape flowing effortlessly behind me I darted after and pulled him to safety. So although my time as Batman was short lived, I enjoyed being able to help someone, and while I am sure the outcome would have been the same if I had not been wearing my cape that day, but donning the identity of my hero empowered me and made me feel indestructible.

So is it the masks and secret identities that allow these superheroes to be who they are? Is a mask and or secret identity required to become a superhero? Well while to this day I still love watching and reading about "Batman" and all the other superheroes, I have learned that the real superheroes in our life's are not the ones hiding behind a mask and or a secret identity. But they are hiding all around us right under our noses, who are these superheroes you ask? 

Well they are the people who make life possible and worth living, they are the people who love us despite our shortcomings, they are the people that pull us up when we fall. They are our parents, our siblings, our children, our extended families, our friends, our teachers, our neighbors, or coworkers, our church leaders, our and of course our Savior and our Heavenly Father.

We so often over look the roles these people play in our lives and in doing so we over look the true heroes in our lives. While the superheroes in books and movies can give us hope and give us aspirations to do better in our life, they are not the ones we should be looking up to, or trying to become like. 
As I have gained wisdom in my days I no longer wish to become "Batman" (though I still want his car) I now hope to become more like the real life heroes in my life. I have also learned that being a hero does not require superpowers and or gadgets and gizmos. The only thing required to be a hero is having the strength to be yourself and to do what you believe to be right.

My son Xavier is one of my heroes despite the limitations he faced, he kept pushing forward and even when he was in pain he would light up the room with his sweet and pure spirit. I have been blessed with great siblings both older and younger (and their spouses) whom have been outstanding examples for me. And my parents, grandparents, and aunts and uncles who have also inspired and protected me in so many ways that without them and their examples I can't imagine where I would be in this life.

So we need to become more grounded and take our heads out of clouds and look for our real life heroes, and recognize the influence they have upon us. And follow their lead so that we too can find the greatness within ourselves to become the heroes of those around us. And as we rise up from the inspiration of others, we can then be there to pull others up when they are in need.

Like. I said I have many heroes in my life but I would like to dedicate this post to my Dad, Michael Jackson Wolfe. Whose inspiration and guidance has always led the way for me, even if I did not always follow his lead I knew he was always there for me. His unwavering love and kindness has always allowed me to know he would be there when I needed him. He has protected me in so many ways as I was growing up and continues to do so to this day. Not only has he been there for me, but he has been there for my son and my wife. He has sacrificed so much for me and all of my siblings and our families, and he does so willingly and without regard to acknowledgement. I just hope I can continue to take his lead as I try to better myself. 

Well it's now September but this post was intended to be posted back in June for Father's Day, but at the time I was in California celebrating my dad's retirement with my family, and then with our move shortly after I never did get it finished up and posted, but when your dad is as great as mine everyday should be Father's Day, so I am posting it now. Below I am posting the pages to a book I wrote and designed for my Dad for Father's Day so take a look below to learn some of the great things about my dad!


























No comments:

Post a Comment